• Home
  • >>
  • EPA Certification

EPA Certification

There are two primary types of EPA Certification:

  • EPA RRP or Lead Based Paint for Renovation, Repair and Painting Certification, and
  • EPA HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning) Certification.

EPA Lead Based Paint Certification

The EPA lead based paint certification has been required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) since April 22, 2010 for all individuals, companies, organizations, firms or agencies who work-in or offer to perform work in buildings built before 1978. The EPA calls this program the Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair & Painting or RRP Certification.

Anyone who does work that has the potential to disturb paint must have EPA Certification for Lead Paint. This includes all contractors, both general and specialty, handymen, remodelers, painters, electricians, roofers, carpenters, window and door installers, landlords, property management companies, and maintenance personnel, just to name a few.

The work must be done by an EPA RRP Certified Renovator and workers who have been properly trained. All work must also be performed by a Lead Certified Firm.

If you are a general contractor or property manager it is your responsibility to both be Lead Certified and to make sure that any sub-contractors you may use are also Lead Certified.

The EPA coordinates with states, cities and other local agencies to enforce the Lead Paint RRP Certification Rules. Penalties can be as much as $37,500 per violation, per day.

There are two steps to becoming EPA RRP Lead Paint Certified:

  1. Attend a One Day, Lead Paint Certification Class in Lead Safe Work-Practices. Upon completion you, and any other of your team who attend, will be Lead Certified Renovators.
  2. Register your company, firm or organization as a Lead Certified Firm. You will receive the application in your class.

EPA HVAC Certifications

The EPA requires any technicians who handle refrigerants used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems to be Certified under the EPA Clean Air Act. There are two types of EPA Certification based on the type of equipment being worked on.

EPA Section 608 Technician Certification

EPA 608 Certification is for all work on Stationary Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems. There are specific rules for:

  • Technician Certification
  • Refrigerant Recovery and/or Recycling Equipment
  • Refrigerant Leaks
  • Refrigerant Sales Restrictions
  • Service Practices
  • Reclamation
  • Safe Disposal
  • Recordkeeping

Depending on the specific type of equipment you are working on, different tests may be required. For more information on EPA 608 Certification go to:


EPA Section 609 Technician Certification

EPA 609 Certification requires that any person who repairs or services a motor vehicle air conditioning system must be trained and Certified by an EPA approved program. There are specific rules for:

  • Technician Training and Certification
  • Equipment Certification Requirements
  • Sales Restrictions
  • Approved Equipment
  • Safe Disposal Requirements
  • Recordkeeping Requirements

For more information on EPA 609 Certification go to:


What else would you like to know about Lead Paint?

What is Lead Based Paint
What is Lead Certification?
What is Lead Abatement?
How to Test for Lead Paint
How to Remove Lead Paint
What is RRP Certification?

Trusted by 20000+ Companies Like...

"Great class. Helped to have an instructor with real world experience."

Chris Prelitz – Laguna Beach, CA

"Gave me the information I needed to be confident in the work I do."

Christian Lowe – Littleton, CO

"Steve presented knowledge I can take back to work with me and use."

Kevin Springer –Nashville, TN